House Subcommittee's Budget Would End Most Amtrak Service
Every day, more and more Americans are riding trains, avoiding the stresses and high cost of driving and flying.
We need your help!
Amtrak ridership continues to set records and many trains are full. With our population growing and fuel prices soaring, we need more, not fewer, trains!
Yet an Appropriations subcommittee of the u.s. House of Representatives passed a spending plan for fiscal 2011 (starting Oct. 1, 2011) that:
• cuts Amtrak/s operating assistance by 60%
• has no funding for much needed high-speed rail
• prohibits using federal funds for state-supported short-distance trains ... ending passenger service in 15 states
Now is the time for Americans to defend Amtrak, the vital travel choice that so many Americans depend on. Tell your Representative that shutting down Amtrak would be a disaster. Maintaining and increasing investment in passenger trains is a cost effective way to meet our national transportation and energy needs.
- Call your Representative's Washington office at 202-224-3121
- Visit www.act.narprail.org to learn more and send an email to Capitol Hill
- Talk to fellow train riders and others about the threat to trains brewing on Capitol Hill and the need for increased investment in passenger trains.
Visit www.narprail.org for news and action alerts
The National Association of Railroad Passengers is the largest citizen-based organization representing train and rail transit users. We seek modern, customer-focused national passenger train network that provides a travel choice Americans want. Over 23,000 individual members
support our work.